What to do if your passport is lost or stolen?

akash_shaw's picture

Replace your stolen or lost US passport in just 5 simple steps

  1. Report your lost or stolen passport
  2. Go to the passport acceptance agent
  3. Gather all the required documents
  4. Get all documents reviewed
  5. Submit your application

Here is a simple step by step guide on “What to do if your passport is lost or stolen?”.

Here you will find the documents, forms, and processes necessary to recover your US passport as quickly as possible.

Did you lose your passport or was it stolen?

No problem, here we will show you the steps to recover it as soon as possible.

Although the process may seem long it only consists of some simple steps.

The good news is that many of these steps can be done online, or if you prefer you can do it offline, by mail, by phone or even in person.

Step 1: Report your lost or stolen passport

Submit DS-64 form

The first step is the most important of all.

Reporting it is a must. It is so important because many people could usurp your identity, reporting it is the best way to protect yourself from identity theft. It will always be your decision in the end, but it is better to make sure and avoid any major concern or problem.

Once you report your passport as stolen or lost, it will be invalid and can’t be used for any purpose.

How to report a lost passport?

To perform the reporting process for theft or loss there are 3 different ways:

report lost passport

  1. By mail: You just have to fill out and complete the DS-64 form. Send it from your nearest post office. And it should be addressed to the address as in the form.
  2. Online: You can fill out form DS-64 form online. Link here
  3. Phone: You can even make a call to the US State Department at 1-877-487-2778.
  4. Note: Even If you want to apply for the new passport, you still need to fill out form DS-64.
    Through these routes, you can report your passport as stolen or lost.

Step 2:Where to go to replace your passport

replace lost passport

The place where you have to go to replace your passport depend on two things, your travel plans and the country you are in.

Depending on these, you can choose these 3 different options:

  1. If you are in the US and do not have plans in the coming 3 weeks. Then you have to make a reservation to go to a Passport Acceptance Facility. Make an appointment if required, here you can get your passport replaced.
  2. If you are in the US and plan to travel in 3 weeks or less. Then you have to make a reservation to go in person to a Passport Offices, Passport Agency or National Passport Information Center. Depending on the need you will have some restraints.
  3. If you are outside the United States. In this case, the most advisable is to contact the nearest US embassy or consulate. Here you can replace your lost passport at an applicable fee.

Step 3: Gather all the documents

Documents Lost Passport

Getting the necessary documents to replace your passport is simple. The first thing to check is if you are eligible for a passport replacement. You need a birth certificate to verify that you were born in the US.

You can also use an old or expired passport. Meanwhile, the appearance of the photo of this old passport is still similar to you, there will be no problem. After this, you only need to collect the documents from this list to obtain the replacement of the passport.

  1. DS-64 Form or Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport: It is required to process your replacement. If you filled it out by hand or online you will need a copy of it.
  2. Passport Application Form DS-11: This form is filled automatically by this link https://pptform.state.gov/. However, if you filled in the forms by hand you will need one of each of these forms for the process.
  3. Driving License: You will need a photocopy of driving license or any other state-issued ID (front and back)
  4. One Passport Photo

Stolen passport fees

In this case, you will need two cheques, one for the amount of $110 addressed to the "US Department of State".

If you are in a hurry and need an expedited passport replacement you will have to pay $170.

In addition to the previous cheque, you will need to make one for $35 for the Passport Acceptance Agent fee.

Step 4: Passport Acceptance Agent Review Process.

Passport Acceptance Agent

So far you have compiled several documents with a lot of information. We know that it is enough and can even be confusing about the role of “Passport Acceptance Agent”. These people are responsible for reviewing your application and seal it in an envelope to send it. These agents are located at the Clerk of the Court offices and at the headquarters of the US Post Offices.

Step 5: Send your application

There are three ways to send your application:

  • Through a Passport Expedited Company - If you are in a hurry and you need your passport as quickly as possible, it is best to go to one of these agencies. They will arrange to send the package for you.
  • Through a Passport Agency - If you need expedited your passport, just go to one of these agencies and ask for an appointment to replace your passport.
  • Through Mail - You can always mail your application you just have to make your Passport Acceptance Agent send your documents to the National Passport Center.
  • What Our Customers Rates Us


    Rating star

    Claim Flights helped many airlines passengers for their compensation claims and they are happy with us. See what our customers rated us: 9.6 from 10 star based on 392 Reviews..